Saturday, February 23, 2013

Just exactly what has it taken for me to keep Mississippi flowing?

Just exactly what has it taken for me to keep Mississippi flowing? Friends who know about the venture sometimes ask me, "So how is Mississippi doing?"

To share the truth, Mississippi is growing with every passing month. The other side of the truth is that the growth has been gradual. And every little addition to its growth comes out of a lot of legwork. Literal legwork and figurative and virtual. 

Like they say it takes about 1000 days to really build the momentum. If you survive, you'll most likely do well. I didn't believe in that. I thought I would do better and much much earlier. I thought my 'idea' is gonna make waves.

No, we are not some ocean, nor the river we purport to be. To create just one wave is a mighty effort. To talk about 'waves', the plural, is another thing. And so precisely, let me say, we've created 20 waves (20 products which have kept us afloat out of, let's say, 400 or so) in the 21 months of our journey.

Personally, I've had to dig deep, into my savings, into my head and into my closet. Entrepreneurship is like that.

I cut down my wardrobe to 3 colors. 2 primary colors, 1 spicy. Primary: blue and white. Spicy: red. 2 supporting colors: beige and grey. Haven't thrown away clothes in other colors but I'll wear them till they last.

As to other things, I buy nothing except running shoes which I can wear to my shop. The other big buy was a camera (in replacement for the one that I lost) which I use for clicking earrings and birds.

I've bought a lot of transparent containers in the 21 months. I realize preservation of everything I have is important for survival. Transparent coz I want to see what I have, time and again, and be efficient in making use of them till we build a momentum. I've labelled them all so that one glance is enough to get what I want.

A fling bag so that I don't expend a lot of energy forgetting things. I carry a lot of little things which I might need in the bag.

I've driven my bike fairly carefully and slowly. Idea being I shouldn't injure myself. Can't afford hospital bills and can't afford to spend time on other matters. I've given up on car almost completely. On many occasions I prefer walking down to my shop, and for the little things I want to buy for myself or the shop.

On occasions I've gone for sessions at my friend's coaching class so that my pocket-money is taken care of. I've had occasional yummy pizzas but nothing compared to when I was in a job.

And I've not traveled by flight for the last 20 months.

Every such little decision could be taken keeping
only one thing in mind. That the money I save could be used towards creating/offering one additional design of earrings to earrings lovers. That's it. No more, no less.

Just exactly, this is what it has taken me, personally, to keep Mississippi flowing.

This update is slightly long by FB standards. And this is a meditative Sunday answer to a question which most friends and relatives ask. :) Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment